Venue Details, Cockatoo Function Room
Cockatoo Room (see separate subtab description of marquee and marquee spaces)
Bawley Bush Retreat on the NSW south coast is a multi-purpose celebration, entertainment and/or seminar space for use by contract-catered or self-catered groups. The Cockatoo Room and is designed so you can use its many features and the commercial kitchen next door to create the event experience you want. Both are surrounded by a beautiful coastal forest and sweeping lawns and gardens that overlook Lake Willinga, 125m away. Check out the Venue Gallery for more images.
The Cockatoo Room is a 93 square metre room expanded by a 30sqm foyer seamlessly accessible through concertina hardwood doors and it has a 7sqm kitchenette/servery. It has a 47 sqm covered veranda, a nearby gazebo and large adjacent lawns. Up to 80 seated diners fit comfortably into the function room itself. Using the veranda, seated dining events for up to 110 people can be accommodated. Folding tables and chairs are stored in the Cockatoo room cupboards....you are free to hire alternatives from 3rd parties if you consider these unsuitable.Though all of our pricing is disclosed on this site we will be happy to provide a firm quote.
Flexible and multi-purpose uses
Cockatoo Room is separated from Cafe Cottage by a covered foyer/breezeway (see floorplan below). We have designed the room to accommodate a wide variety of workshop, corporate, family and (even) accommodation uses. It also makes a great common room for guest groups who book all of our cottages and who just need a space to meet in or play games in (there are 2 table tennis tables and equipment),
Cockatoo event capacity (excluding gardens, lawns, marquees) # of persons
|Theatre (seated)||Seated in the round||Cocktail (standing)||Dining (seated)|
|Veranda (Café Cottage)||-||-||20||-|
|Veranda (Cockatoo room)||15||-||20||30|
* There is dining crockery/cutlery/champagne/wine and drinking glasses for only 100 (120 from Feb 2018) diners.
Bawley Bush Retreat is a self catering venue where guests are free to engage their own function caterers and other event-supporting services. Bawley Bush Retreat does not provide event support services, such as catering or bridal services....we simply provide the grounds, venues and equipment for guests to create their own event within.
Use of the Café Cottage commercial-standard kitchen that adjoins the Cockatoo Room by any insured caterer of guest's choice, or by guests wanting to self-cater is included in our celebration event tariffs. The kitchen is stocked with sufficient serving-ware and glass-ware for meals for up to 120 seated diners. Caterers usually bring their own cookware to support what is provided. Events larger than our serving-ware capacity need to be finger-food events but the maximum we can accept is 150. See Local Providers sub-tab for recommended event providers.
Please check out the list of recommended Local Providers you can negotiate with directly. Most have delivered services to guests at our property.
Cockatoo Room has a kitchenette separated from the main room by a timber roller-shutter and from the Cafe Cottage by a foyer. For events of up to, say, 30 people the kitchenette can serve as a bar or tea/coffee servery. It contains a domestic dish-drawer, gas hot plate, double bowl sink, large clear-fronted drinks or food fridge, under-bench freezer, storage cupboards and a servery bench. It is normally stocked with crockery etc for 10 so it can be used as a kitchen when booked as a self contained cottage. Meals for small groups and tea and coffee for larger ones can be made and washed up there independently of the Cafe kitchen.
The Cafe kitchen has a domestic and commercial stove, two refrigerators, a full-size freezer, a domestic and a commercial dishwasher as well as a range of supporting equipment. Together, Cafe Cottage and Cockatoo Room kitchens are stocked with cooking gear, crockery, cutlery and glassware, to serve 120 people. We expect rooms to be left tidy and equipment to be put away clean. If the supplied equipment is not left clean and stored away as found a substantial cleaning fee will be charged. If the floors, verandas and cupboards are not left reasonably clean we will also charge a cleaning fee.Tablecloths are not included in room hire but can be separately hired from us, from others or you can bring your own.
The floor-plans of Cafe Cottage and Cockatoo Room follow. Click the downloadable floorplan .pdf below this plan if you want larger or printable detail:-
Cockatoo Function Room Floor Plan, printable - Pdf 115Kb
Including our caravan but excluding campers, we can accommodate about 50 people on site. This requires some sharing (eg as couples, twins, triples and some 4's). If each single guest requires their own bedroom then we can sleep up to 18 people. If the Cockatoo room is used for accommodation too then, subject to foldup bed availability, we can sleep more people. If you need more accommodation than this, and most weddings do, we have a beautiful and secluded un-powered camping glade available. It has well-separated level campervan/RV/caravan/tent spaces. Access to Cockatoo bathrooms and showers is available for any camping overflow. For almost all weddings other local cottage providers and/or holiday homes or bed-and-breakfasts at nearby Bawley Point accommodate overflow sleeping requirements. Links to cottages and B&Bs can be found at www.bawleycoast.com.au and holiday homes at www.stayz.com.au.
Cockatoo Room function tariffs are separate from accommodation tariffs. Both are fully detailed under our Tariff tabs where tariffs for most uses are disclosed. Note that in the event our rooms and equipment are not left in the same clean condition provided to you we will charge an hourly cleaning rate. We also charge for credit card useage, rubbish removal, damage and breakages.
Each guest group can configure Cockatoo and its verandas with our stored trestle-tables and stackable chairs as they wish, indoors and outdoors. If additional equipment needs to be hired we ask that steps be taken to ensure that our equipment does not get mixed up with hired gear.
Access to the veranda is via french doors and bifolding windows.Larger groups typically set up a temporary bar on the verandah or on the lawns.
The room is designed so it can be blacked out for presentations and has a whiteboard, a pull-down projection screen and a data projector for Powerpoint/TV/video/DVD presentations. It has a separate 101cm HD TV. In addition to high quality audio gear with a 12-channel mixer the room boasts a 4.8m X 2.5m stage that can raised as needed. The room has ample storage for supporting equipment so that groups that need it can have lots of clear floorspace. This might be for yoga, martial arts, dancing and other similar activities.
The space is not available for use by celebratory parties of people who are predominantly under the age of 25, for major birthdays under the age of 25 or for any function where alcohol use will not be closely managed by the booking party.
We hold Public and Products Liability insurance which covers our legal liability to third parties resulting from our negligence or alleged negligence in respect of personal injury and/or property damage arising from our business activities. Bawley Bush Retreat is not nsured for and is in no manner liable for injuries people may suffer as a result of participating in any activity or receiving a service organised by guests or by any supplier guests have contracted (eg exercise-induced injury, food related illness, interpersonal claims, psychological injury etc). We are also not liable for workers compensation claims by employees not engaged directly by ourselves.
If guests choose to engage external contractors to deliver services on our property they are welcome to do so, but losses or damages arising from delivery of those services will not be our responsibility. It is therefore important that guests who wish to avoid the possibility of personal liability ensure that any contractors they engage carry their own public and professional liability and workers compensation insurances and that such insurance will be current at the time of service delivery.
While we will use every endeavour to satisfy your booking, our liability to guests in the event that we cannot deliver on a booking due to matters and consequences beyond our control such as storm, bushfire etc is the return of any deposit paid. Event insurance may be purchased by booked guests from an insurance broker to cover any risk of event failure borne by guests.
Detailed building specifications
- Externally Cockatoo has a gable roof and is made of compressed earth bricks. It has hand made blackbutt french doors opening onto the verandah and bifolding feature windows that look over the lake.
- Covered verandah on eastern side of room is 70 sq m.
- Internally the room has a mixed Victorian hardwood floor, ironbark round log feature beams, hardwood minor beams and rafters. The ceiling is exposed Zincalume mini-orb. Walls are radiata pine finished with Porters wood wash paints.
- There are feature stained-glass windows in each gable end depicting our favourite bird, the glossy black cockatoo and its exclusive casuarina habitat.
- There are side and rear doors. The bifolding rear doors open onto the foyer/ breezeway that separaes Cafe Cottage from Cockatoo Room.,
- There are 2 ceiling fans and 2 X opening gable windows.
- Servery room described above.
- Access to 5 toilets including for 1 for people with disabilities. The premises comply with disability access requirements.
- Wood heater: Nectre 2 with firewood supplied
- Removable hospital style curtains X 2 for privacy screens when room required for accommodation.
All windows/doors can be blacked out.
Detailed equipment specifications
- Stackable folding seating for 100 people and blowmoulded foldup/stackable tables (18# X 1835mm X 760mm and 2# X 1100mm x 760mm). (If not sufficient or suitable for your event you can hire 3rd party equipment).
- Storage cupboards for foldup/stackable chairs, fold-up tables, partitions table-tennis tables and whiteboard.
- Domestic LG micro-hifi tuner/CD player with USB port and own speakers.
- Professional audio equipment including 12# jack array at rear of stage leading to Soundcraft EFX12 (12-channel) mixing desk at rear of room. This is fully plugged in ready for use.
- Redback A2733B Professional audio player with IPOD/IPAD standard and lightning, MP3/USB and SD card input already wired to mixer
- 2 X boom-style microphone stands
- Microphones: 2x AKG D5, 1 X AKG D880, stands, various leads, jacks and filters.
- Cordless microphones, great for speeches.
- Monitor/fold-back speakers: 2 X Laney CX usually connected in series. These have built in amplifiers and can be used outside for speeches etc when located close enough to power.
- Yamaha main speakers: 2 X MSR 400 high-quality main speakers permanently connected to mixer. Monitor speakers can be connected to these to enable inside music to be played outside.
- Guitar holders: At stage X 2
- Overhead data projector: Viewsonic PJD6241 with composite video, S-video, 15-pin analog RGB or component, 9-pin RS 232 and HDMI (check) inputs. This can be set up to project images on screen and sound through the main Yamaha speakers.
- Pull-down overhead projection screen.
- Separate LG 42LH20D 101cm HDTV HDMI-wired to receive DVD player input.
- DVD player: HDMI domestic standard LG also plays CDs.
- Platform 4.8m X 2.5m at front of room flush with floor that can electrically rise to any level up to 350mm above floor level to create stage
- Mirror ball: 400mm with 3 X dedicated spotlights
- Dimmable low voltage house lights
- Spotlight dimmer control adjacent to mixing desk: Jands 4PAK-D
- Spot lighting: 2 X PR Pro Par PR3040 with barn doors and gels: 2 X Source 4 Junior.
- Ample power supply with separate audio equipment circuit.
- Tablecloths available for hire, check tariff section for pricing.
For bookings phone 61 2 6100 4743. To email us an enquiry click here. On-line booking of the Cockatoo Room using our Book Now button is available only for its use as a cottage.